Sexual Orientation Discrimination
It is unlawful for an employer to discriminate against an employee or worker if the reason is connected to or because of your sexual orientation. The phrase 'sexual orientation' covers preference for the opposite sex in addition to homosexual preference. It covers gay men, lesbians, heterosexual people and bisexual people.
Examples of this could be if you are:
- refused employment on the basis of your sexual orientation
- receiving unequal treatment as a result of your sexual orientation
- being subjected to comments related to your sexual orientation
- denied or not considered for a promotion due to your sexual orientation
- dismissed on the basis of your sexual orientation
- being subjected to unequal treatment because of your sexual orientation
- being subjected to a detriment because of your sexual orientation
- not being paid the same wages or receiving the same benefits as a result of your sexual orientation
To bring a claim of sexual orientated discrimination, you will need to demonstrate that you are or were an employee or a worker, or were applying for a job as an employee or worker. There is no qualifying period of employment required to bring a claim for sexual orientated discrimination.
To present a claim, you must contact ACAS and complete Early Conciliation within three months starting from the date of the last act of discrimination.
With offices in Leicester, Wigston and Market Harborough we are willing to discuss your employment law claim at any of our offices. In addition we are a national provider of expert employment law advice and welcome a free discussion with you regarding you circumstances and potential claim. If you believe you have a situation where you require free legal advice, please contact us on telephone 01162121000 or 01858445480. Alternatively fill in the free Contact Us form above and we will get in touch as soon as possible.
In addition to No Win No Fee, Lawson West solicitors act for our clients on a variety of other funding arrangements including Legal Expenses insurance funding. We can assess your case to decide which is the best funding option for you.