Skip to main content
Home page
Site map
Contact Us
0116 442 2075
If you believe a criminal offence has been committed by another person, you will need to refer it to the state – i.e. the police and then Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) to bring a prosecution.

However, after going through this process, many victims of crime feel that the police and CPS failed to really appreciate the nature of the crime committed against them. You may feel that the investigating officer was unsympathetic, indeed you may wish to complain about a specific officer or simply make it clear that new evidence has been discovered. You might believe that the police failed to understand an incident of fraud, or have been told by an officer that what you have reported is merely a 'civil matter' with no crime involved.
If any of this rings true, you need a solicitor. You may also want to use the recently introduced 'Victims' Right to Review' scheme run by the CPS, although this only applies to decisions made on or after 5th June 2013. The initiative makes it easier for victims to seek a review of a CPS decision not to bring charges or to terminate proceedings. The scheme comes about as a result of a 2011 Court Judgment during the course of which the court concluded that victims have a right to seek a review when the CPS decides not to prosecute.

Lawson-West can help you in all the above scenarios but please note that legal aid is not available for this service. We will help by e.g. advising you on the best way to present your evidence, or how to navigate the police complaints process. For more information please contact Richard Tomlinson, Jasdeep Rai or Sarah Hickey at Lawson-West on 0116 212 1000.