Skip to main content
Home page
Site map
Contact Us
0116 442 2075
It may be that one or both of you have particular religious beliefs that prevent you, in your own conscience, from applying for a divorce. If that is the case, and you still need help with other related issues, you could apply for a judicial separation. This is sometimes called a 'Legal Separation', but that does not imply that simply separating is not legal.
The procedure to obtain a judicial separation is almost exactly the same as the procedure for divorce. You must prepare a petition setting out your reasons for saying that you want a judicial separation, based on the same reasons you can use for a divorce petition.
The steps involved are almost identical, and it will cost you about the same amount in solicitor's costs and court fees.
The essential difference between a judicial separation and a divorce is that, at the end of the process for Judicial Separation you are still married, while at the end of the process for divorce you are not.

We are always willing to discuss each individual situation. Please phone Alistair Dobson on 01858 445480, James Haworth on 0116 212 1000 or Sarah Townsend on 0116 212 1080 to arrange a free initial appointment or visit one of our free walk-in clinics.  


Please note this will be kept in strictest confidence and is required solely to ensure we do not have a conflict of interest according to SRA regulations. The party WILL NOT be contacted by Lawson-West.